Friday, October 30, 2015

Redefining the Cultural Norm

by Konyin Adewumi

I have lived under the umbrella of a patriarchal African society all my life.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie was the first self proclaimed African Feminist that I had ever encountered. To me, she was a glimmer of hope of what could be. However, I believe the rest of the world needs to reevaluate the reality. It is a dangerous game to look at Africa with a savior complex, deep rooted in the history of the white man’s burden.

My mother is the strongest person I know. Growing up, I learned to fear and admire a woman who was over a foot shorter than me. And though I loved my father with the heart of any young girl whose father has shown her nothing but kindness, I knew that nothing in my life could function without my mother.

My mother could come home from a long day of work, cook my family dinner, drive us anywhere we needed to go, tidy up, adorn herself in anti aging creams, and wake up to do it all over again. She served as both breadwinner to my family and the glue that shouted us all together, because if you have ever encountered an African mother, she was probably shouting.

 I could say the same about many of the African women I grew up around. I had aunties whose strengths and talents were unparalleled. So much so that when I see a picture of an African woman with a basket of yams on her head and baby wrapped in eccentrically colored cloth hanging from her back, I see a woman that can do anything. There is power beyond belief in the African woman, this is what I hope others will one day see.

However, I do not hide behind cultural pride and regional dedication, as a means to ignore a greater issue. Global problems such as the rapid spread of HIV in sub-Saharan Africa have made the problems of patriarchy almost impossible to ignore. HIV disproportionately affects girls and young women throughout Africa, often attributed to the over arching culture of male dominance. Women are less in control of reproductive justice, cliterodectomy are practiced in villages around the continent, female literacy rates continue to be much lower than men, while child marriage remained highly prevalent among young girls.

Women of Africa have historically shown the world what they are capable of. They have played pivotal roles in the ending of apartheid, they have mobilized to end civil wars, they have served as voices to end female genital mutilation, and they have served as powerful heads of states. If global burdens of disease disproportionately affect women, what is the role of women in creating policy, as opposed to men? Audre Lorde once said that the master’s tools will never dismantle the masters house, does this place the burden of change upon the backs of women?

It is not a secret that cultures continue to change. No culture that has refused to adapt has survived the constant transitions and transformations of globalization. So I then pose the question, what would the changing of the gender culture look like in Africa? Can it be implemented into African culture, without breaking down walls of the culture itself? Khadija Gbla, a brilliant African feminist who works to end female genital mutilation, once said that culture is not an excuse for abuse. Do we sacrifice health for the sustainment of a culture or culture to promote health? Are the two mutually dichotomous? I believe we are in a time where women and men of Africa work to cultivate a reality of African Feminism rather than aspire to westernized ideas of female rights.

This begins by asking women of all ethnicities, what does empowerment look like to you and who can help you attain it?


3 comments:

  1. Thanks Konyin for your thoughts and personal story.

    I was just at a conference in Chicago (Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, ANAC) and was reminded about the rates of HIV infection by sex and country. Most of my work is focused in Sub-Saharan Africa where, as Konyin mentioned, women are often disproportionately affected by HIV/AIDS; and many services are targeted at women and children or maternal/child health and few (besides Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision programs) services are specifically for men. Although I am working with the pediatric infectious diseases team here at Duke, I often forget that the incidence rates are flipped in the US by sex, and men are disproportionately affected by HIV. Per the CDC website “Among females, the estimated number of new HIV infection decreased 21%, from 12,000 (95% CI: 10,100–13,900) in 2008 to 9,500 (95% CI: 8,100–10,900) in 2010. In 2010, the rate of new HIV infections among males (30.7) was 4.2 times that of females (7.3).”

    Compared to South Africa (where Dr. Melissa Watt presented some statistics on HIV infections) females have an HIV prevalence nearly twice as high as men and women 15-24 years of age have a four times greater rate than men of the same age; women 15-24 also account for 25% of all newly acquired infections (Avert.org; HSRC, 2012). Although, Men who have Sex with Men (MSM) are also disproportionately affected by HIV in South Africa like in the US (in one 2009 study in Johannesburg and Durban the HIV prevalence was 43.6% in MSM), women still carry a huge burden of the disease.

    I think taking a gendered lens and remembering to include the context – be it LMIC or local/global, urban/rural; context matters. Being in a conference with a much more national than international focus was a bit refreshing, and it was helpful to think about how gender (not just being female or being a girl/woman) influences health.


    Thanks,
    Brittney Sullivan

    http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/statistics/surveillance/incidence.html
    http://www.avert.org/professionals/hiv-around-world/sub-saharan-africa/south-africa


    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post, and really insightful to hear of your own experiences.

    I am neither African nor female, so I will defer the question about what women's empowerment in Africa should look like to those whose vision and experiences it should really be based on. I did, however, want to echo the sentiment of Audre Lorde's quote, which I think really resonates. I feel like meaningful, lasting change toward a more equal world will depend greatly on having women in power, controlling policy. Dr. Watt mentioned Rwanda's progress in this regard, with the country's system of requiring a minimum number of parliamentary seats be saved for women. My understanding of India is that they have a similar system at local levels, and have proposed implementing it at the parliamentary level but have not been able to pass the bill supporting it. Another (very timely) example that comes to mind is Trudeau, the newly elected Prime Minister of Canada, naming women to half of the cabinet positions. Of these examples, it seems to me that the most effective and sustainable is one in which seats at national-level government are actually reserved - once a rule like that is institutionalized, it no longer depends on the decisions of one politician. Of course, there are challenges to reaching that point, as illustrated by India.

    Completely separately - a brief note on the point of HIV among young women in Africa. The statistics are staggering and disheartening, but I found a point of optimism at a recent talk Mark Dybul, director of the Global Fund, gave here at Duke. He said the thing that keeps him up at night right now is the state of the HIV epidemic among girls in Africa. While this certainly reinforces the reason for concern, I also think that if there's one person who you would want to make sure is thinking about this issue, it's the person running the Global Fund. Hopefully he will be able to direct that worry into action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Konyin for a wonderful post and for highlighting gender issues in the context of Africa.
    In trying to address part of a question you raised, I think that it is possible to attain a change in cultural view pertaining to gender in Africa. However for this to happen, traditional cultural walls may need to be weakened then remodeled into a form that can accommodate change and dynamism. The society should be raised to view culture in a new light, which may necessitate abolishing beliefs and practices that tend to portray one gender as being superior to the other. I will echo some quotes I like by Chimamanda Ngozi; she says that we should not let culture define us rather we should be the people who define culture. She goes ahead to raise the following questions “What if when we raise children we focus on ability instead of gender? What if when we raise children we focus on interest instead of gender”. I believe that if the imagination in the above questions is implemented then great strides will be achieved towards a more inclusive culture that will identify people based on different aspects other than gender. To me this will be victory in realizing true empowerment.

    ReplyDelete